Friday, October 3, 2008

Introduce Yourself

Okay, I know what you're thinking (actually I don't, so don't worry), you're thinking that you would like to post here and to be involved but you don't know how to get started.

Well, inspired by a certain well known TV interview, why don't you tell us about your reading? Answer any or all of the following three questions in whatever detail you'd like (just don't say 'all of them'!).

What is one print media source you use to read about science and biology?

What is one electronic media source you use to read about science and biology?

What is one media source you mainly read for fun that you occasionally learn useful things about science and biology from?

I'll even take all the pressure off by going first:
What is one print media source you use to read about science and biology?
I'm a big fan of New Scientist magazine. They do have a pretty good website (although much of it is only accessible to subscribers) but the magazine itself is only about a buck an issue if you subscribe and makes for a pretty easy way to keep up with advances in all of science not just biology.
What is one electronic media source you use to read about science and biology?
ScienceDaily is a very useful source. It has its flaws but it's a great resource to find up to date research in areas that are a little outside your main interest.
What is one media source you mainly read for fun that you occasionally learn useful things about science and biology from?
I don't have time to constantly surf the web looking for the latest cool thing, amusing article or silly video so I rely on BoingBoing (a directory of wonderful things) to find them for me. Although I often go there for entertainment its surprising how often I come away with something more interesting. I'm currently mulling over the conservation implications of the mackerel economy in US prisons and the bizarre walking strategies of artificially evolved organisms.


No comments: