In alphabetical order
- CCBER - Cheadle Center for Biodiversity and Ecological Restoration. With a name that long almost everyone uses the acronym (pronounced 'see-bear').
- EEMB - Department of Ecology, Evolution and Marine Biology. One of the two Biology departments. again because of the length almost everyone refers to it as E-E-M-B.
- ES - Environmental Studies. An interdepartmental program with 12 full time faculty members, many of whom hold joint positions in other departments. Usually referred to as E-S.
- L&S - The College of Letters and Science. This one you probably know.
- MCDB - Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology. One of the two Biology departments. Almost everyone refers to it as M-C-D-B.
- MSI - Marine Science Institute. A very successful ORU (organized Research Unit) on campus. Mainly housed in the MSRB (Marine Science Research Building). Three for the price of one....
- NCEAS - The National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis. Because it is housed downtown, because most undergraduates do not interact with it, and because it is always referred to as 'En-Seas' this research center can be one of the more obscure aconyms to figure out.
- REU - Research Experiences for Undergraduates. NSF (National Science Foundation) funds a large number of research opportunities for undergraduate students through its REU Sites program. An REU Site consists of a group of ten or so undergraduates who work in the research programs of the host institution.
- URCA - Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities. Although part of L&S you will interact with this office when you seek research funding. Usually pronounced Ur-Car.