Monday, June 12, 2017

WHY BATS MATTER

So, my grandmother has this huge fear of bats. And, as she and my grandfather lived in the mountains for about 10 years of my childhood, we all experienced plenty of bats both inside and outside the house. (Yes, a cute little bat family decided that a great nesting area would be the attic!!!) Let's just say my grandmother wasn't ecstatic.
Anyhow, I was thinking about bat pollination. Yes, some bats eat insects mainly, but some are also huge pollinators. I found a cool website that explains so many reasons as to WHY BATS MATTER. So many reasons having to do with pest reduction (aka eating insects), but also to do with pollination. I think I might share this with my grandmother to a) get a laugh out of her reaction b) perhaps change her negative opinion on bats c) educate her on their helpfulness within ecosystems.
Some cool, common bat pollinated flowers (these just happen to turn in to fruit!!) are as follows:
MANGO
BANANA
COCOA (though I can't quite appreciate this one, as I am allergic to chocolate)
DURIAN
GUAVA
AGAVE (fun fact folks, this is used to make tequila)
I'd say bats are pretty important, personally.
http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/why_bats_matter.html

No comments: