Saturday, April 15, 2017

Since when was the tundra biome considered aesthetically pleasing?

I personally have never found the cold, barren plains of the tundra biome to be very beautiful, especially when compared to the others, such as chaparral (yep that's us! aka Santa Barbara, one of the most desirable places to live in the world). Last time I checked, people weren't jumping to pay millions of dollars for small houses on even smaller lots nestled in the most barren areas of Alaska or Canada or Russia...you get the point. However, contrary to my belief that the tundra biome could rarely be considered "aesthetically pleasing," a study in 2007 found that college students actually favor the tundra and coniferous forest biomes!! To be honest, I had to read that twice. Maybe my opinion is in the minority though, so what do you think? Is the tundra biome actually a gem?

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0013916506292016

1 comment:

Danielle Punsal said...

I found your post to be so touching and very personal! I'm from the desert, which is also an arid area with sparse life (obviously more extreme than the tundra) and with that being said I see your point and I also understand the other. It wasn't until I moved here that I appreciated the biome and noticed how it could be desirable.

I attended an environmental seminar on renewable energy here at UCSB and one speech was on solar power. The speaker had proposed that because the desert biome was so barren that it would be the perfect place to build masses of solar panels. Throughout my entire childhood, I was wishing the desert would become more developed. I ached for "first world" amenities, such as large malls. I hated that the only thing to do was climb up mountains that all looked the same, and wander through vast plains of shrubs and Joshua trees, only changing direction when I came across a rattle snake. But when that speaker suggested building solar panels in areas that were like my home because there is "nothing important out there," I quickly jumped to the biome's defense. While it may not be as diverse as a rainforest or be home to resources that people find useful (such as crops or plants with medicinal properties) it is the only home to some of the most unique and (excuse my language) bad-ass organisms to exist, a quality I think that should be just as important.