Monday, March 13, 2017

Fish Otoliths and Ocean Acidifcation, or A More Straightforward Train of Thought

When we were talking about tree rings, I immediately thought of fish otoliths, which are small ear bones that have rings corresponding to growth (See? This train of thought was much more straightforward than the one from my last post). There is an undergrad in my lab who is using these as part of her project about fecundity and parasite load, but I didn't know much about them other than that they can be used to tell a fish's age. I found this paper, which was interesting to me because everyone always thinks of coral reefs when ocean acidification is mentioned, but it affects so much more than that. It's a very brief paper, so I hope you enjoy it! (As a side note, I purposely did not elaborate too much on this topic because I will be presenting on it on Thursday.)


No comments: