Thursday, March 9, 2017

Bacteria's "Lag Phase" to Teeth in Amphibians

I chose this topic for the blog because it was so tangential to what we actually discussed in class, and that really amused me; I actually found it pretty fun. 

This paper (doi: 10.1111/j.1558-5646.2011.01221.x) describes the "re-evolution" of  teeth in amphibians, and the topic that led me here was the "lag phase" that bacteria can enter to survive until the condition of their habitat is more survivable. I got to this paper through the following process:

1) This "lag phase" is similar to encysted parasites.
2) I researched parasites last week.
3) It's also similar to the "hibernation" of the amphibian in Walking with Monsters (a really enjoyable documentary-type film that I highly recommend, especially since we've been talking about different geological eras and the organisms that lived during them).
4) This amphibian was a Labyrinthodont (it took a bit of digging to find this).
5) There are many papers on Labyrinthodont ear structure and some on their jaws.
6) One of the related papers was about the "re-evolution" of teeth in amphibians.

Thanks for staying with me through that process, and I hope you enjoy this paper!

No comments: