Thursday, June 2, 2016

California Mussel Quarantine

Hey guys!

So we brushed over the idea of the California mussel quarantine in class, and I wanted to let you guys know a little more about it.

So basically, because of the levels of biotoxins that are present in mussels between May and October, the Department of Public Health created a ban on public collecting of mussels during these times, to protect people against shellfish poisoning.  The reason that these toxin levels are so high between these months is that this is when the conditions are most optimal for the algae that create the toxins. However, the toxins don't harm the mussels, so the algal bloom climbs until the conditions return to suboptimal.

I just found this really interesting and I didn't know that it occurred along our coast every year, so I thought I'd spread the knowledge.

Here are some articles about it, if you're as fascinated by this as I am

Yay
Mussels

Enjoy!!
-Anshika

No comments: