Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Research Opportunity for Great Tailed Grackles

(The last post made me realize I could post this here)

Hey guys! If anyone is still looking for a lab, or just something fun to do on weekends, I'm going to start going to the zoo again this Spring Quarter to continue tracking Great Tailed Grackles. Basically I just go to the zoo once a week (free entry, whoo!) and use this phone app to recor what the birds do for ten minute intervals. It's a lot of fun, and even better with a partner along!

Here's Corina Logan's (she's the PA of the project, she was a professor here last year but now she's doing research in the UK) blurb about it.

"The Grackle Project started in Santa Barbara in 2014 to investigate avian cognitive abilities in the lab and field. Currently we are tracking the individually identified (through unique color leg band combinations) grackles using focal follow protocols to gather behavioral data. If you are interested in being considered for a volunteer research position on the project, please see further details about the research at www.CorinaLogan.com and follow the application instructions atwww.CorinaLogan.com/students.html."

If you guys wanted to join, I'd suggest emailing Corina soonish so you can go through all the procedures (you need to fill out a health form and I think go to a training about how birds work) to start next quarter. But anyways, let me know if you guys have any questions! I can go on for ages about how cool the birds are.

Good luck on finals!

No comments: