Tuesday, February 23, 2016

There's Too Much Math in Plants

Hi guys!

We were talking in class about the arrangement of leaves, and that called me back to this really cool video I saw in high school. I mostly was interested in it because it helped me doodle some really cool pinecones, but it basically talks about the relationships in the angles between leaves and other things in nature like pinecones. It's supposed to be the ideal angle in between leaves so that no one leaf will ever overlap the other, thus preventing leaves on the same plant from blocking one another out.

I would definitely suggest watching more videos in the doodling in math series - this video alone has two 'sequels' which expand more on the patterns in plants. It just figures  we wouldn't be free of math, even in EEMB. But this stuff is really cool!

-Michelle G

No comments: