Thursday, June 11, 2015

Some Pinnipeds on the UCSB Beach

 A picture of a Harbor Seal I saw resting on a rock in the intertidal zone.

 An Elephant Seal weaner.

Here the Elephant Seal is yawning. It seemed very sleepy and was oblivious to joggers and dogs.

I wanted to show some happier pictures of pinnipeds on the beach rather than sea lion pups that were starving. When I went out to see if I could find some more stranded sea lion pups, I ended up finding a Harbor Seal and an Elephant Seal on the UCSB beach. The Harbor Seal was in the intertidal area where we went walking in class. It was resting on one of the rocks offshore. The next day, I came back to check to see if the Harbor Seal was still there, and it was.  On another occasion, I came across an Elephant Seal weaner on the UCSB beach bordering the Goleta beach. At first I was not even sure it was alive because it was sleeping so soundly. It was even able to sleep through a Golden Retriever barking at it from a few feet away! All the Elephant Seal wanted to do was sleep. When the tide started to come in, the Elephant Seal was forced to move and I was able to get a picture of it yawning. In its new spot, it started to throw sand on itself and every once in a while it made snorting sounds. It was a really neat experience to watch the Elephant Seal and Harbor Seal and I am glad that they were both healthy and doing okay. I just hope that they were not too affected by the oil spill.

1 comment:

Online journalism programs said...

This is really fun to view your post. Appreciate it during generating such a good post.