Saturday, May 31, 2014

Chemotherapy Induced Peripheral Neuropathy

I work in the Feinstein lab on campus, and one of our current projects is about chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy so I thought I'd share a bit about it! I found this lovely little article that goes into detail about this kind of neuropathy:

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/695/art%253A10.1007%252Fs00520-004-0657-7.pdf?auth66=1401772095_8b38e3174884ba404fed2a7d8cd71137&ext=.pdf

I mostly work with microscope images of mouse sciatic nerves and the effects of drugs such as paclitaxel and vincristine. When viewing the images, it is immediately obvious that these drugs destroy the myelin sheath surrounding the axons. This is a huge problem, as often the painful neuropathy forces cancer patients to stop taking these very effective drugs. As a result, their course of treatment must be completely altered, or they may be left with little or no effective treatment at all. The grad student I work under is organizing a conference specific to chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy sometime in the near future, so if anyone is interested I can get more details!

No comments: