Sunday, March 2, 2014

HIV Vaccine?

In an effort to keep up with the ever-changing biology world, I decided to look up some current events. In doing so, I stumbled upon an interesting article about a possible HIV vaccine. The article caught my interest, so, I looked into further news articles about this new possible HIV vaccines, thinking this must be some new break through that many news websites must be covering. Instead, I found several different articles, all published within the last day. Upon inspection, however, I found that the articles were not talking about the same research mentioned in the first article, but that all were talking about different, recent "ground-breaking" discoveries (Links: Miami Researchers, Antibody Magic) . I was slightly confused. Had several research teams around the world caught a break all within a day of each other? Or is the media getting over-excited about these "break-throughs?" 

I think the topic of an HIV vaccine is a very hot news topic and whenever anything new is discovered, no matter how small, the media likes to give it attention. Is this beneficial or detrimental to the scientific community? Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

No comments: