Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Afforestation in the Fight Against Climate Change

In Thursday of week 6 (I know, a little late), the Carboniferous Period was mentioned in class as the period in which plants started to increasingly dominate the landscape. The presence of so many photosynthesizing organisms completely changed the atmosphere, converting the harmful CO2 to breathable oxygen. This got me thinking: the pre-Carboniferous Earth had a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere, which is a growing concern for us today. If the plants could take up all this CO2 during the Carboniferous Period, couldn't they do the same for our atmosphere today?

I decided to do some further research on this possible solution (dare I say?) to all the CO2 in our atmosphere. In my research, I stumbled upon this article about a study done to determine exactly what I had pondered. And, the article has a link to the original paper! How exciting, I don't think it gets much better than this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1240380/pdf/ehp0109-000749.pdf 

I think afforestation seems like a pretty good idea, for environmental as well as aesthetic reasons. Thoughts?

No comments: