Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Two years ago I went in to see a film I had heard nothing about (something I usually try to avoid doing). The film was M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening"- and I remember it being so bad that I almost left the theater.
Aside from the poor dialogue and overall bad storyline, the movie was terrible because of how it depicted evolution. I don't want to give it away (I think everyone seriously considering studying evolutionary biology should be forced to watch the film) but the entire premise is based on what John was saying in class today about how plants adapt given that they cannot move...

I don't know. Maybe one of these days I'll host a "Happening" party and we can all whine and gripe and grumble together.


2 comments:

John Latto said...

Oh thanks for reminding about that movie. That's two hours of my life I won't get back.

I also just spent ten minutes trying to remember the name of a seventies eco-horror movie. Thanks to some google searching I am pretty sure it is 'Day of the Animals' that I'm thinking of. You seem to be able to watch most of it on YouTube.

Check out the synopsis from IMDB:

The depletion of the earth's ozone layer causes animals above the altitude of 5000 feet to run amok, which is very unfortunate for a group of hikers who get dropped off up there by helicopter just before the quarantine is announced.

Tara said...

I think that is going to have to be played at my "Obligatory Bad Biology Movie Night" I'm in the midst of planning.

Also- just heard of another good one:
"The Beast"

Mysterious things happen at the coast of Graves Point: An empty boat lies at the shore, divers vanish. The sea biologist Dr. Talley thinks he knows the solution of the mystery: In the depth there is a gigantic octopus.