Wednesday, April 2, 2008

You can't make this stuff up

Well actually I guess you can.

The Batcave stores various memorabilia items, such as a defunct full-size mechanical Tyrannosaurus Rex, an equally large U.S. penny and a Joker playing card. The penny was originally a trophy from Batman's encounter with a penny-obsessed villain named the Penny Plunderer. The penny-obsessed villain debuted in 1947 before being driven out of work by inflation in the 1970's. (I made that last bit up but that's what I like about comics - you can't tell the difference between what's actually made up and what's really made up.)

I love this panel, because of the poor placement of the word balloons it looks like Abraham Lincoln is having a conversation with Batman. Plus you get that great Batman line:

'What am I anyway - a museum collector - or what?'

No comments: