Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Chicxulub

Possibly breaking my own rule of having posts be relevent to the current or past class I will stretch a point by saying that today I did mention the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction event (aka the one that killed the dinosaurs). I have the Wikipedia main page as my home page and when I logged on today I found today's featured article was on the Chicxulub crater underneath the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. This is the impact crater made by the impacting asteroid that current scientific opinion thinks plays a big role in the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinctions. It's a nice article giving you some idea of the scale of this impact. The animation (click the picture above) helps understand the formation of the crater. The story of the craters discovery, before the asteroid impact theory, is interesting too.

No comments: